Categories
French schoolgirl French teacher beheaded Intelwars Samuel paty Schoolgirl lied terror attack

French schoolgirl’s accusations got her teacher beheaded, sparked violent riots. Now she admits she made it all up.

In a shocking development in a case that stunned France last year, a schoolgirl has admitted she made up accusations against her former teacher that sparked a hate campaign, which led to his gruesome murder and sparked violent riots in the country.

What are the details?

Samuel Paty, a history teacher in west Paris, was beheaded last October by an 18-year-old Chechen Muslim refugee named Abdoullakh Anzorov, after controversy erupted over his alleged anti-Muslim classroom presentation during a lesson on free speech.

The 13-year-old student, whose identity has been protected, reportedly told her father that Paty showed degrading images of the Muslim prophet Muhammed in class. After learning of Paty’s alleged behavior, the student’s father filed a legal complaint and launched an internet campaign against the teacher, slamming Paty in Facebook and YouTube video uploads, claiming that the teacher showed cartoons of Muhammed with his genitals exposed.

The campaign set off a firestorm in the Muslim world, fomenting widespread anger towards Paty, who was murdered a mere 10 days after the accusations were first made. In addition to resulting in Paty’s murder, the accusations also sparked violent riots across the country that led to the deaths of at least three others.

But now, the girl has reportedly confessed to police that she lied.

The girl’s lawyer, Mbeko Tabula, confirmed on Monday that her client was not even in attendance at the class during which she alleged the incident took place.

“She lied because she felt trapped in a spiral because her classmates had asked her to be a spokesperson,” Tabula further told the AFP news agency.

According to the French newspaper Le Parisien, the girl lied to her father to keep him from knowing that she had been suspended by the school for cutting class.

“She would not have dared to confess to her father the real reasons for her exclusion shortly before the tragedy, which was in fact linked to her bad behavior,” the newspaper reported.

What else?

According to BBC, shortly after Paty’s murder, prosecutors alleged that there was a “direct causal link” between the online hate campaign against the teacher and his eventual murder.

Now, the 13-year-old has been charged with slander and her father with being “complicit in a terrorist killing,” the Independent reports. Though Tabula argues the girl should be protected and her father blamed for “excessive and disproportionate behavior.”

The perpetrator, Anzorov, was tracked down by police and shot dead as he attempted to flee the scene. The French government characterized the incident as an Islamic terrorist attack.

Share
Categories
charlie hebdo Intelwars knife attack paris police Stabbing terror attack

French police launch terror investigation after knife attack near Charlie Hebdo’s former office

Police are investigating a knife attack that took place near the former Paris offices of French satirical magazine Charlie Hebdo, the site of a 2015 radical Islamist terror attack, CNN reported Friday.

The stabbing occurred Friday morning and has left two individuals seriously injured, police said. The victims are said to be employees of the French documentary production company Premières Lignes. They are in serious condition but are expected to survive.

The attack comes as a long-awaited trial unfolds of 14 people accused of assisting the two gunmen, brothers Saïd and Chérif Kouachi, in their attack on Charlie Hebdo’s offices nearly five years ago.

Shortly after the attack, an unidentified suspect was arrested near Place de la Bastille, and as of Friday afternoon, two suspects were being held by police.

“The main perpetrator has been arrested and is currently in police custody, the second individual was placed in custody for his relations with the main perpetrator,” Jean-François Ricard, France’s anti-terror prosecutor, said.

A terror investigation has been launched

French prosecutors have reportedly opened a terrorism investigation due to the attack’s proximity to the 2015 terror attack, which took the lives of 12 people and injured 11 others, and its timing in relation to the current trial.

Ricard added that the two victims were on a cigarette break when they were attacked.

According to CNN, Premières Lignes’ founder, Paul Moreira, told BFM TV that it “all happened very quickly” and that “a few blows were given to the two people in front of the office” by an attacker wielding some “sort of cleaver.”

The company’s director, Luc Hermann, criticized what he described as a “total absence of protection of this building since the attacks on Charlie Hebdo.”

“We’re journalists. Our job is to inform, not to get attacked like this morning,” he added.

Following the incident, Charlie Hebdo tweeted out “support and solidarity” to its “neighbors and colleagues at [Premières Ligne] and to those affected by this heinous attack.”

Earlier this week, the magazine’s head of human resources, Marika Bret, was forced to flee her home forever as a result of “precise and detailed” death threats.

As the trial loomed, the magazine decided to republish the Mohammed cartoons that sparked the original attack.

“Since the start of the trial and with the republication of the cartoons, we have received all kinds of horrors, including threats from al-Qaeda and calls to finish the work of the [gunmen from the 2015 attack],” Bret told Le Point magazine.

This is a developing story. Check back for updates.

Share