Categories
Crime Intelwars Sacramento Sacramento county sheriff's deputy Sex Offender Shauna bishop

Former sheriff’s deputy sentenced to jail for sex with 16-year-old son of ex-boyfriend

A former sheriff’s deputy was sentenced Wednesday to a year in jail for unlawful sexual conduct with a minor. The juvenile was the 16-year-old son of her ex-boyfriend.

Shauna Bishop was a Sacramento County sheriff’s deputy, who had been reportedly dating a man who also worked for the sheriff’s department and said to be “a high-ranking officer.” In April 2019, the man allegedly broke off the relationship after a year.

The man told his ex-wife that he was concerned that Bishop’s relationship with their son was “inappropriate” and that Shauna was “grooming” the boy, according to court records.

The boy’s mother checked her son’s cellphone records to investigate.

“I found nothing that led me to believe there was more to the relationship than what it was,” she told police.

Despite the father’s concerns, the mother and Bishop became close friends after the breakup, according to the Sacramento Bee.

On April 28, 2019, the mother asked the sheriff’s deputy to come to her home and talk to her son about his drinking and marijuana use, court documents said. Bishop, 44, arrived at 8 p.m. and ended up staying overnight.

“We all three sat on the couch and I wanted Shauna there with me because (the victim) really responds well to her and I knew it would be easier to discuss if she was with me,” the boy’s mother told the police.

Later that night, Bishop went into the boy’s room, and they engaged in sexual intercourse and oral sex, according to a statement the 16-year-old provided to authorities. About two weeks after the incident, the boy reportedly told his 19-year-old sister about the encounter. She informed their mother, who contacted the Folsom Police Department, which began an investigation.

According to court documents, authorities had the mother call Bishop to ask if she “did something” the night she slept over. The mother then told her that she knew about Bishop’s 69-minute phone call with the teen a day after the incident.

“When he told me what happened, I had no idea,” Bishop is quoted as saying, according to court documents. “I was so drugged. I thought it was a dream. I’ve been so sick over it. I literally have no recollection.”

Bishop hinted that she had been under the influence of the Ambien, which both women reportedly took on the night of the incident.

The teen did not initially inform police about the sexual contact with Bishop because he was concerned about her and her children, court documents said.

“I really don’t want anything to happen to Shauna,” the boy told police. “I am worried for her kids. She has a 16-year-old daughter and 20-year-old daughter and I don’t want to see them get hurt. I really wish this would all just go away.”

The boy’s parents filed a police report. Bishop turned herself in to authorities in June 2019, and was arrested by Folsom police on her birthday. The five-year veteran was put on paid leave in May 2019 during the investigation and resigned in August 2019, as reported by KOVR.

This July, Bishop pleaded guilty to one count of unlawful sexual intercourse. In the plea agreement, prosecutors dismissed four other charges against her.

On Wednesday, Bishop was sentenced to one year in county jail, five years of probation, and she must register as a sex offender, KCRA reported. She was also ordered to serve 180 days on the sheriff’s work project when she’s released.

The Folsom Police Department released a statement last June that read, “Although Bishop is a deputy sheriff, she did not meet the victim through her job nor did the alleged acts occur while on duty. Detectives do not believe there are additional victims.”

Share
Categories
Children Cracker barrel Intelwars Parenting Peeping accusation Sex Offender South Carolina watch Women's restroom

Dads tackle, detain registered sex offender accused of peeping at 15-year-old girl under restroom stall

A 15-year-old girl said that when she was in the women’s restroom at a South Carolina Cracker Barrel on Sunday morning, she noticed something moving at her feet, WSPA-TV reported.

Image source: WSPA-TV video screenshot

Turns out it was a man’s head coming from the adjacent stall — and the man was looking at her, the girl told Duncan Police, according to the station.

What happened next?

When the girl left the restroom, WSPA said she told her father, who then got a female employee to remove the man from the restroom.

Witnesses said the 15-year-old wasn’t the only girl in the restroom: “I’ll never forget the way they looked after,” one noted to the station. “They were traumatized.”

Police Chief Carl Long told WSPA the girl’s father confronted the man at the restroom entrance. And the dad apparently had a special greeting for him

“The guy came running, sprinting out the front door with a very bloody nose,” a witness told the station.

A witness told WYFF-TV he heard a commotion that sounded like a fight and heard people say, “Get him! He’s getting away!”

Long added to WSPA that other fathers aware of what happened reportedly helped tackle the man in the parking lot and restrained him until police arrived.

The witness who spoke to WYFF said he and his his son saw people hit the man, and then the witness handed off his son to his wife and went outside and recorded video.

Image source: WSPA-TV video screenshot

That same witness added to the station that his son asked him a lot of questions about what happened, and he told his boy that “there was a bad guy, and a lot of good guys took down the bad guy.”

Image source: WSPA-TV video screenshot

Long told WYFF that the parents were in town for a girls’ softball tournament.

Who is the suspect?

Police identified the suspect as 53-year-old registered sex offender Douglas Lane of Charlotte, North Carolina, WSPA reported. Lane’s phone was found on the bathroom floor and was taken by police, the station said.

Douglas LaneImage source: Spartanburg Co. (South Carolina) Detention Center

Long told the station that Lane was charged with voyeurism and possession of marijuana and drug paraphernalia in connection with Sunday’s incident.

Lane was charged for peeping at least eight previous times, WSPA reported.

During Monday’s bond hearing, a court official said Lane told authorities he didn’t realize he was in the women’s restroom until he sat down, WYFF reported.

WSPA said Lane received a $2,000 surety bond and will be monitored by GPS. The judge also ordered that he move to South Carolina but must have no contact with the victim or her family, the station added. Lane’s initial court hearing will be 9 a.m. Nov. 12, WSPA reported.

Additional charges could be possible at the conclusion of the investigation, the station said.

More from WYFF:

The North Carolina State Bureau of Investigations says Lane was registered as a sex offender in 2008.

He was convicted of secretly peeping into an occupied room in 2004 in Mecklenburg County, North Carolina, records show. The record says the victims were 8 and 9 years old.

In 2008, records show Lane was convicted of secretly peeping into an occupied room, also in Mecklenburg County. The victim in this case was 18 years or older, records show.

The South Carolina sex offender registry says Lane was convicted of peeping, voyeurism or aggravated voyeurism in South Carolina in 1997 and failure to register in 1999.

Share
Categories
Bail fund Child sexual assault Intelwars Kamala Harris Minnesota freedom fund Sex Offender

Man suspected of raping an 8-year-old girl released with help of bail fund supported by Kamala Harris

The Minnesota Freedom Fund, a bail fund that Sen. Kamala Harris (D-Calif.) continues to fundraise for, contributed to the release of a man who is accused of raping an 8-year-old girl, the Daily Caller reported.

Harris began promoting the fund, which has existed since 2016, during the unrest in Minneapolis following the police killing of George Floyd on May 25. Harris tweeted that she wanted people to donate in order to help bail out people arrested during the protests.

The fund, which was promoted by other public figures, raised more than $35 million in the aftermath of Floyd’s death, but has used only a small percentage of that money. A Sept. 4 statement on the MFF website said the group has spent about $3.4 million bailing people out, with only $210,000 of that being related to protests.

The Daily Caller found that some of those who have benefitted from the bail fund are accused of horrifying violent crimes and could present a threat to public safety.

Timothy Wayne Columbus is a 36-year-old man who was bailed out of Minneapolis jail in July. He is accused of sexually assaulting an 8-year-old girl in 2015 and faces up to 30 years in prison if convicted. Court records show he signed a document saying that any refunded bail money should be returned to the MFF.

Court records reviewed by the Daily Caller reveal the appalling details of the accusation:

“Victim stated ‘Tim’ laid her on the couch and held her down as he unbuckled his pants and pulled down her pants. Victim stated he then ‘put his thing inside me,'” the statement of probable cause read.

“Victim stated ‘Tim’ told her not to tell anyone and continued to penetrate her,” the statement added.

Columbus was considered a friend of the victim’s family but had abruptly stopped visiting the family around the time of the alleged assault, the statement said. The girl did not tell anyone about what happened until years later, according to the statement.

Columbus was already a registered sex offender for a separate incident before he was arrested for allegedly assaulting the 8-year-old.

The Minnesota Freedom Fund says they “do not make determinations of bail support based on the crimes that individuals are alleged to have committed.”

“We are, however, taking steps to strengthen our internal procedures for ensuring that those we bail out receive support, especially if they are in need of housing or medical treatment,” an MFF statement reads. “Those processes involve renewing our commitment to listen to the communities directly impacted by our efforts, and ensuring those we bail out have the necessary support to safely return to their families and their community.”

Share
Categories
California Intelwars LGBT Rape Scott Wiener Sex Offender

California Legislature passes bill to soften criminal penalty for LGBT adults who have sex with underage teens

The California General Assembly — comprised of a Democratic supermajority — has advanced legislation that could ease the criminal punishment for LGBT adults who have sex with underage teenagers.

What are the details?

The bill — SB 145 — was introduced by state Sen. Scott Wiener (D), an openly gay man, and seeks to prevent gay adults who sodomize or perform oral sex with underage teenagers from being automatically assigned to California’s sex offender registry.

The legislation calls for a judge to use discretion on assigning an individual to the sex offender registry if their victim was between the ages of 14 to 17 and the age difference between the offender and the victim is less than 10 years.

The bill passed the California state Senate by a 23-10 vote and passed the Assembly by a 41-18 vote, the San Fransisco Chronicle reported.

Wiener claims the bill “eliminates discrimination against LGBTQ youth in our criminal justice system.”

More from the Chronicle:

Under current law, a judge can decide whether to place a man who has vaginal intercourse with an underage teenage girl on the sex offender registry based on the facts of the case. But if anal or oral sex, or vaginal penetration with anything other than a penis is involved, the adult must register as a sex offender — a relic of a penal code that criminalized those acts until 1975, even between consenting adults.

The California Supreme Court upheld the legal difference in 2015, arguing that because vaginal intercourse can lead to pregnancy, forcing a father to register as a sex offender would subject him to social stigmatization that could make it difficult to find a job and support his child.

The bill will next head to the desk of Gov. Gavin Newsom (D), where it will likely become law.

What did opposition say?

State Rep. Lorena Gonzalez, a Democrat, said, “I cannot in my mind as a mother understand how sex between a 24-year-old and a 14-year-old could ever be consensual, how it could ever not be a registrable offense. We should never give up on this idea that children should be in no way subject to a predator.”

Anything else?

Wiener is also responsible for legislation that lowered the criminal penalty for knowingly transmitting HIV from a felony to a misdemeanor.

Share
Categories
epstein FBI Florida Florida investigation Indictment Intelwars Jeffrey Epstein Sex abuse Sex Offender Sexual Abuse Trial

Feds in Florida knew about the victim central to Jeffrey Epstein’s indictment 11 years earlier: report

Federal agents in Florida were aware of key allegations of childhood sexual abuse against Jeffrey Epstein over a decade ago, ABC News revealed Thursday.

According to court documents, a woman had come forward with detailed accounts of abuse against Epstein and was set to appear before a grand jury in the original federal investigation against the billionaire hedge fund manager in Florida. But after Epstein secured a favorable deal with prosecutors that resulted in him serving 18 months in county jail, the case was closed and the allegations went unheard — until last year.

Here’s the scoop from ABC News:

A woman whose allegations of childhood sex abuse in New York were central to last year’s indictment of Jeffrey Epstein was questioned by the FBI and subpoenaed for testimony by federal prosecutors in Florida more than a decade ago in connection with the first federal investigation into Epstein’s alleged child sex trafficking, according to court documents and multiple sources familiar with the events.

But the woman, who was 19 at the time of her initial contact with federal agents in 2008, did not appear before a grand jury in West Palm Beach, as the subpoena commanded. Before her testimony could be secured, Epstein cemented a controversial and once-secret non-prosecution agreement with the U.S. Attorney’s Office in Miami by pleading guilty to two state prostitution charges for which he was sentenced to 18 months in a county jail … with the deal done, the federal grand jury was suspended, the investigation halted, and the subpoena to the woman, ultimately, withdrawn.

The report notes that the woman’s account could have helped strengthen the already expansive case against Epstein by “potentially unraveling an alleged network of child sexual abuse at his Manhattan residence,” which was similar to what had been uncovered at his Palm Beach estate.

“I certainly think with the FBI’s capabilities, even back then, that they could have unraveled the entire network from New York to Paris to New Mexico,” said Spencer Kuvin, an attorney who represented three of Epstein’s alleged victims during the original investigation in 2008. “The potential was always there. [The government] shut this thing down and pled this thing out before going through and talking to probably more than half of the women that were involved in this whole thing. Had they conducted a full investigation and taken their time, this would’ve been a whole different story.”

The woman’s account was finally heard in court during the federal investigation in New York in 2019 and proved to be central to the prosecution’s case. She was identified as “Minor-Victim 1” and was the only alleged victim from New York whose allegations are specifically detailed in the indictment.

The ABC News report details that the woman was initially recruited in 2002, when she was only 14 years old, to provide massages to Epstein at his Manhattan residence, and that she went on to suffer escalating sexual abuse over a number of years. The woman was also enlisted to bring other girls to Epstein so that he could engage in sex acts with them.

Share
Categories
Anthony Weiner Convicted Huma Abedin Intelwars manhattan New York Page six Sex Offender sexting weiner

Anthony Wiener is allegedly trying to get more access at his son’s school — and parents are not happy about it

The school board where Anthony Weiner’s son attends is reportedly upsetting parents by considering letting the disgraced former congressman and convicted sex offender back onto school grounds.

Weiner — who was recently imprisoned for sexting with a 15-year-old girl — has been lobbying for the change so that he can pick up his son, Jordan, 8, and attend events such as parent-teacher conferences, Page Six reported.

Page Six noted that while it is commonly held that sex offenders are not allowed in places where children are often found, such as parks and schools, New York State law allows for an exception to be made if the offender has a child at a school. In those cases, it is up to the school board to make the ultimate determination.

The news that the school board is deliberating over the matter has evidently caused a stir in the community.

“Parents are very upset,” a source allegedly told Page Six. “The school has kids that are 16 and 17 — the same age as [the kid] that he was [sexting] with.”

In September 2016, Weiner was caught sexting and sending lewd pictures of himself to a 15-year-old girl, even asking the girl to engage in “rape fantasies” with him, the Daily Mail reported. He was later sentenced to 21 months in federal prison for the crime but only served 16 months.

After being released, Weiner was required to register as a sex offender and undergo three years of supervised release. Despite filing for a divorce after news broke that he was sexting with a minor, Weiner’s wife, longtime Hillary Clinton aide Huma Abedin, withdrew her petition.

According to the New York Post, Weiner has since moved into the same East Village apartment building where Abedin and their son live.

Share