Categories
Amazon Web Services Glenn beck radio Intelwars Mark Meckler Parler Parler censorship Parler deplatformed Parler lawsuit

CEO Mark Meckler tells Glenn Beck Parler will pursue lawsuit against Amazon Web Services

Parler, the self-styled free speech social media platform, will pursue legal action against Amazon Web Services for refusing to host its website, interim CEO Mark Meckler told BlazeTV host Glenn Beck on Tuesday.

During an interview on “The Glenn Beck Program,” Meckler said Parler will file an amended complaint to its lawsuit against Amazon Web Services.

“There is a lawsuit that has already been filed. We’re working on an amended complaint on that. That lawsuit is against AWS, and it’s on web services,” Meckler told Beck. “I do think there’s liability. I think there’s anti-trust stuff. Business stuff. We’ll be putting out more on that stuff, in a week or two, when we amend that complaint.”

The social network used by 20 million people returned to the internet Monday after being offline for nearly a month. Last month after the Capitol Hill riot, Amazon Web Services deplatformed Parler for allegedly refusing to moderate hate speech and violent or illegal activity. Parler was accused of inaction against violent threats made on its platform and claims that it permitted rioters to organize violence by neglecting to enact content moderation policies adopted by other social media websites like Facebook and Twitter, policies that conservatives have criticized as being anti-free speech.

Apple and Google also kicked Parler’s app off of their respective app stores around the same time it was deplatformed by Amazon. Shortly after Parler was taken down, the company sued Amazon to have its website hosted again, but U.S. District Judge Barbara Rothstein sided with Amazon, which argued Parler was threatening public safety by neglecting to remove posts after the Jan. 6 Capitol riot.

Meckler took issue with claims that Parler was somehow more responsible for the violence at the Capitol than other social media websites like Facebook or Twitter. He cited a report from Forbes that reviewed data from the Program on Extremism at George Washington University and found that in charging documents for 223 individuals related to the Capitol Hill riot, Parler was mentioned just eight times. By comparison, Facebook was the most referenced social network with 73 references, followed by YouTube with 24.

“They found the vast majority is violent, and inciteful stuff, that took place on Facebook. YouTube and Instagram were a close second and third. We barely made the list,” Meckler said. “So there’s always going to be bad content on every platform of that size. But the bottom line is, this was just a hit job. It was a political hit job. I would add, it was a business hit job. They see Parler as a real threat to their monopoly on the business market, and on free speech. And they’ll come after us.”

Share
Categories
Dan Bongino free speech Intelwars Mark Meckler Parler Parler relaunch Social Media

Parler is back online with new interim CEO

Parler, the self-proclaimed No. 1 free speech social media platform and favorite Twitter alternative of many conservatives, has officially relaunched with new leadership, the company said Monday. Current users should be able to access their accounts by the end of the day.

The social media site, which boasts more than 20 million users, was de-platformed by Amazon Web Services in January after critics accused the website of permitting hate speech and encouraging violence by refusing to follow Facebook’s and Twitter’s lead in censoring content and banning certain users. After Parler spent weeks searching for a new client to host its website, the company announced its new platform “is built on robust, sustainable, independent technology” and is available immediately for current users. New users will be able to sign up for Parler next week.

Additionally, the company has appointed Mark Meckler as interim CEO after the exit of former CEO John Matze. Meckler is a grassroots conservative activist and president of Citizens for Self-Governance, a co-founder of Tea Party Patriots, and a leader in the Article V Convention of States movement.

“Parler was built to offer a social media platform that protects free speech and values privacy and civil discourse. When Parler was taken offline in January by those who desire to silence tens of millions of Americans, our team came together, determined to keep our promise to our highly engaged community that we would return stronger than ever. We’re thrilled to welcome everyone back,” Meckler said. “Parler is being run by an experienced team and is here to stay. We will thrive as the premier social media platform dedicated to free speech, privacy and civil dialogue.”

In an interview with John Solomon’s JustTheNews, Meckler added that Parler is using artificial intelligence and human editors to moderate content that engages in illegal activity or violates its terms of service, but is otherwise remaining true to its commitment to support free speech and oppose censorship of ideas.

“Cancel culture came for us, and hit us with all they had. Yet we couldn’t be kept down. We’re back, and we’re ready to resume the struggle for freedom of expression, data sovereignty, and civil discourse. We thank our users for their loyalty during this incredibly challenging time,” radio host Dan Bongino, a prominent investor in Parler, said.

Meckler’s position as CEO is temporary, as Parler’s executive committee is conducting a search for a permanent CEO to lead the social network.

Share