Categories
4-month-old Abandoned Deputies hypothermia Intelwars Michigan woods

Michigan deputies rescue 4-month-old baby boy abandoned on creek bank, suffering from hypothermia

Sheriff’s deputies in Michigan’s Oakland County traced reports of a distraught woman to a 4-month-old baby boy abandoned on a wooded creek bank Wednesday, saving the infant they found facedown and suffering from hypothermia.

What are the details?

The Oakland County Sheriff’s Office wrote in a social media post that deputies responded to two 911 calls from neighbors in the area of Waldon and Joslyn roads “regarding a lone woman who was hiding in the bushing and ringing their doorbells.” They added that “the residents said the woman appeared distraught and said she believed someone was chasing her with guns.”

The woman was nowhere to be found by the time law enforcement arrived, but then another report came in that “a frantic woman was pounding on the locked doors” of a nearby middle school.

Authorities said they found the woman, 37, and spoke with her to try to calm her down. During the conversation, they found out she had an infant son. Noticing “burrs on her pants,” the deputies launched a search of the area.

“Thirty minutes after learning the infant was missing, deputies discovered him in the wooded area, cold and wet but breathing,” the news release stated, noting that the 4-month-old “was in a hypothermic state.”

The baby boy is now in good condition.

“Thankfully, deputies were able to determine a baby was missing, which triggered an immediate large response and search, and they were able locate the child,” Sheriff Michael Bouchard said in a statement, according to Fox News. “Their quick work avoided what could have been an unspeakable tragedy.”

The sheriff’s office added that “deputies believe the case may involve prescription drug abuse” and “a warrant is being sought for the mother’s arrest on suspected child abuse.

Anything else?

MLive reported that officials don’t know how long the baby was exposed to the elements, and that he is being kept overnight for observation at St. Joseph Mercy Hospital. The infant is now in the care of Child Protective Services.

Share
Categories
Ambush arrest Attempted Murder Deputies Intelwars Los Angeles Police

Man arrested, charged with attempted murder in ambush of LA County deputies

A man has been arrested and charged with two counts of attempted murder for allegedly shooting two Los Angeles County sheriff’s deputies while they were sitting in their patrol vehicle in Compton earlier this month.

What are the details?

Los Angeles County Sheriff Alex Villanueva held a news conference Monday morning announcing the arrest of Deonte Lee Murray, 36, who is accused of carrying out the high-profile ambush attack on Sept. 12 that put both officers in the hospital with serious multiple gunshot wounds.

One wounded officer was identified as Claudia Apolinar, 31 — a former librarian and the mother of a 6-year-old boy — who has been hailed a hero for applying a tourniquet to her injured 24-year-old partner in the aftermath of the ambush despite herself sustaining several gunshot wounds including to her face and torso. The officers have been released from the hospital.

The shooting was caught on surveillance video, which was widely circulated online. The reward for information leading to the arrest of the alleged perpetrator grew to more than $640,000 between offers from the LACSD and private donors. Capt. Kent Wegener said that they “have received a great deal of information from people who will likely have some claim to that reward.”

During the news conference, Wegener also explained how Murray was nabbed.

NBC News reported:

Wegener said that through surveillance video and witness statements, investigators learned that the suspect fled the scene of the shooting in a black Mercedes-Benz sedan. The investigators later learned that a matching vehicle had been stolen during a carjacking on Sept. 1.

According to The Daily Mail, Murray has been in police custody since Sept. 15 following “a huge armed standoff in Lynwood over an alleged carjacking on September 1 where a 51-year-old man was shot in the leg.”

Wegener said that a handgun discarded by Murray during that run-in with law enforcement two weeks ago was the same one used in the unprovoked attack on the two deputies, given that it “matched both ballistically and forensically.”

What was the motive?

No motive was given for Murray’s alleged shooting, “other than the fact that he obviously hates policemen and he wants them dead,” Wegener told the media.

In addition to the attempted murder charges, the suspect is charged with possession of a firearm by a felon. If convicted on all counts, he faces the prospect of life imprisonment.

Murray appeared in court Wednesday for his arraignment and pleaded not guilty to all charges. His bail was set at $6.1 million.


Compton man arrested, charged with attempted murder in ambush shooting of 2 deputies

www.youtube.com

Share
Categories
Ambush Compton Deputies Intelwars LeBron James Los Angeles Sheriff

LA sheriff calls out LeBron James, asks him to match reward for finding gunman who ambushed deputies

Los Angeles County Sheriff Alex Villanueva called out NBA superstar and Black Lives Matter supporter LeBron James on Monday, challenging the Los Angles Lakers star to match and double the reward for bringing to justice the suspect who ambushed two deputies in Compton over the weekend.

What are the details?

The Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Office is offering a $100,000 reward for information leading to the arrest of the person seen on surveillance video shooting two deputies sitting in their patrol car on Saturday night. Another $75,000 has been added to the reward from private donors.

During an interview with KABC-AM, Villanueva declared, “This challenge is to LeBron James: I want you to match that and double that reward,” according to Fox News.

“I know you care about law enforcement,” the sheriff continued. “You expressed a very interesting statement about your perspective on race relations and on officer-involved shootings and the impact that it has on the African American community, and I appreciate that. But likewise, we need to appreciate that respect for life goes across all professions.”

Villanueva added, “Let’s see what he does. I’ll be very curious to see what his response is, if any.”

What did LeBron James say?

James has been an outspoken critic of law enforcement in the wake of the death of George Floyd, who died while in police custody in Minneapolis in late May after an officer was seen on camera kneeling on Floyd’s neck for nearly nine minutes.

Following the shooting of Jacob Blake — who became engaged in a scuffle with officers after they sought to apprehend him over allegations of sexual assault in Kenosha, Wisconsin, last month — James tweeted, “And y’all wonder why we say what we say about the Police!! Someone please tell me WTF is this???!!! Exactly another black man being targeted. This s**t is so wrong and so sad!! Feel so sorry for him, his family and OUR PEOPLE!! We want JUSTICE.”

Later that day, James told reporters, “We are scared as black people in America. Black men, black women, black kids. We are, we are terrified.”

James has thus far been silent over the shooting of the two deputies in Compton, who remain hospitalized because of their injuries.

According to an earlier report from TheBlaze, the sheriff’s department said:

The suspect is described as a black male whose age is estimated to be between 28 and 30. He was wearing dark clothes in the now widely circulated surveillance video. Unfortunately, the low quality of that video makes further description of the suspect virtually impossible at this time.

Share